If Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham had a daughter no one knew about, she would have to be Sophie Wells.
Musically, I have worked to position her right on the borderline between Fleetwood Mac and Krüder & Dorfmeister. The result is an EP release featuring six tracks — and the video “Fast Speed.”
In working with Sophie Wells, I have very deliberately wanted to create both a visual profile and a musical identity. The latter is the most important. It is about finding and creating a consistent musicality that makes sense as a whole. Yes, I use prompts to achieve this. Once I have a kind of personality and character, the lyrics come. I write all the lyrics myself! This is important to emphasize, because the entire concept is based on my imagination.
The character needs to feel credible. That comes through in the lyrics. In that sense, I’m glad I have some life experience. Sophie Wells naturally fits into my world.
How does she express herself? What are the songs about? And ultimately, what kind of musical landscape does she inhabit?
Of course, I draw all of this from my own vast musical oasis. It is a little like creating a comic book, but instead I do it through music. It feels completely natural when AI tools are available. The character and the music have a right to exist.
You can criticize AI as much as you want. Without my influence, this character would never have come into existence.
No one can stop me from creating. If creativity is stopped, the world becomes a poorer place.
Sophie Wells and I are good friends.
This is a two-part process. Music on one side. Visuals/video on the other.
Legendary producer Rick Rubin put it beautifully:
“AI is the new punk!”
