Tape the sound

Sunday, June 27, 2021

Warpness 2016-2021

 

Warpness 2016-2021        

The moniker WARPNESS had come to an end.

From the beginning this name was a tribute to ancient relatives I remembered as child. My great grand mother name was Charlotte Varpness. I have good memories of her two sisters: Ingrid and Ellen Varpness. They were really a part of my childhood. William, Lolle and Marie emigrated to America.  

Varpneset is a place just outside Namsos in Norway. This was the place you went with the ferry to the island Otterøya. In 1977 the bridge “Lokkaren” was opened and the ferry was not needed anymore. Varpneset become a sort of hidden pearl. (Warpness was the old name, before changing with the “V” letter.)

Memories are fading away. So does the history. But I do remember that we do pottery from the clay at the beach. I also remember the old white house where there was a kiosk managed by my ancient family.

“Aunt” Ingrid and Ellen was really 2 very different persons. Ingrid was the gentle and kind person. Ellen was the angry sister, and sure had her own opinion about everything. But kind in her own way. I loved them both!

Charlotte I can not remember, but I use to call her “Olde” as a very little child, before she died. Charlotte is mother of my grand dad Ståle Øistein Davidsen, who died when I was only 15. That was a sad loss I still think a lot of.

Because of my relatives I called myself Warpness to keep they`re name alive.

 

Musically it became a diversity.

At one side it was ambient and quiet music. Album such as “One Note”, “Atmosphere” and “The Wind”. These are sort of aunt Ingrid. But I doubt she would understand this kind of music.

At the other end Warpness became experimental, dark ambient and noise.

“The Labyrinth” is an EP that came to life during the invitation from Unexplained Sounds Group; Raffaele Pezzella.

“Mørkerom” is a personal favorite. I had to challenge myself a lot for this album. Be a better musician. Be better on technical stuff. Mix. Mastering.

The album was made in Flatdal, Telemark, late autumn 2017. It became very dark. But I learned a lot during this process. Maybe this was aunt Ellen after all. I still see this as an important album in my career.




 

Discography Warpness:

“One Note” 2016 album (MC)

“Atmosphere” 2017 album (CD)

“The Labyrinth” 2017 EP (CD)

“Mørkerom” 2018 album (CD)

“The Wind” 2020 album (Digital only)

 (Click link to visit)

But it all come to an end. Warpness moniker still is a tribute to my relatives on my mothers side. I know that music was a great interest in my ancient family. The times are changing and a synth was not and instrument back in those days.

My problem is that Warpness is not me.

I must admit that I hide myself behind this moniker in fact that I was not a good musician yet. Maybe I still not am, but I think it is time to stand up for myself now. Even my years have changed a lot, digging into making music. I better take the next level on my musical journey.

 

Tom Ståle Engebretsen Aka Warpness